Saturday, July 21, 2012

Back to good music... Review of "Life is Good"

THE OFFICIAL REVIEW!!!



So, I've been doing some different things this week... listening to some new music and really studying the beats, breaks and delivery.  One such album that I have picked up is Nas' newest effort "Life is Good".  I am proud to say that I bought this on day one, which is something that I haven't done since buying a Ghostface Killah album! lol...  Music today has kinda got me down, so I was very happy to pick something up from an old favorite.

Today, I've decided to give a full but brief album breakdown.  I'll glance over each track from the non-deluxe edition (sorry, it was sold out!) and give you my personal opinion as to how I felt about this album.  Let's get right into it!


1.  No Introduction (Produced by J.U.S.T.I.C.E. League)

1. No Introduction (Produced by J.U.S.T.I.C.E. League)


Classical inspiring music; gritty lyrics.  Nas is reminiscing over hard times and shares the tiring toll of fame.  Pours out pain.  Good overall intro and flow.  B


2. Loco-Motive feat. Large Professor (Produced by No I.D.)
Classic 90s style beat.  Train sample is cool.  Piano gives a lot of life to the track and the flow is ill.  B+
3. A Queens Story (Produced by Salaam Remi)
Nice Old School beat with ill strings.  Mad energetic song.  Nas puts forth some serious storytelling.  This song will get slept on though.  The Piano ending saves the track from being mundane and gives it a new facet.  You can tell Nas put heart and thought into this track. B
4. Accident Murderers feat. Rick Ross (Produced by No I.D.)
The first bangin' joint on the album.  Accident Murderers is a super legit track from top to bottom.  The beat is hot, the story Nas tells is cool, and RICK ROSS CRUSHED HIS VERSE!!!  Hot track! Cool effects and sample with the orchestra sounds.  A.


5. Daughters (Produced by No I.D.)
One of the finest tracks on the album.  Nas is a master storyteller.  Wisdom, skill, emotion, great word choice, and excellent delivery over a beautiful beat make this a fantastic song.  A+


6. Reach Out feat. Mary J. Blige (Produced by Salaam Remi, Rodney Jerkins, DJ Hot Day & Nas)
When this comes on you get that old school groove.  Mary comes in with the strong 90's style vocals and Nas brings the story and painting of 90's life back in this song.  Lots of energy and imagination.  Sounds like 3 different 90's samples blended together.  Cool track.  B.


7. World’s An Addiction feat. Anthony Hamilton (Produced by Salaam Remi)
This track I have a love/hate relationship with.  It is a boring track.  One of those one and done types.  However, when you listen to what Nas is saying, you appreciate it, but you have to get through a very tiring beat to get there.  C-


8. Summer On Smash feat. Miguel & Swizz Beatz (Produced by Swizz Beatz)
SUMMER ON SMASH!!!  Poppin track all the way!  Mad energy and fun song!  Swizzy stay with a banger on somebody's album!  Nas is bragging and killing his verses.  Love it... up until Miguel's verse puts out the fire.  Coulda done without him.  He doesn't blow the entire song for me, but Nas, you coulda got someone else for this.  This would have gotten an 'A+' had they not made me suffer through Miguel's verse. A


9. You Wouldn’t Understand feat. Victoria Monet (Produced by Buckwild)
Love the beat.  Simply love it.  It feels very smooth and classic. Solid verse... Solid hook.  Overall, makes me feel really good.  A.


10. Back When (Produced by No I.D.)
I can't describe how much I enjoy this track.  Very cool sample in the background on some 90s stuff!  Cool story about hood life and Nas' youthful days.  Very nice beat as well.


11. The Don (Produced by Salaam Remi, Heavy D & Da Internz)
This song SCREAMS New York 90's.  Everything about it says east coast rap.  Nas is going off on this track.  Super gritty beat.  I love the brief keys in the breakdown toward the end. Very creative track.  Not my cup of tea, but I appreciate this.  A


12. Stay (Produced by No I.D.)
Strong thinking music. First verse, cool story.  Second verse cooler story.  Wow...  Lost in thought.  A


13. Cherry Wine feat. Amy Winehouse (Produced by Salaam Remi)
Cherry Wine is the prettiest song on the album.  Amy Winehouse's voice is simply wonderful on this song.  Good chill music.  Makes you feel great while listening to it.  Multi Repeat song.  A+


14. Bye Baby (Produced by Salaam Remi & 40)
Now this song... This song right here... AWESOME.  This has been on repeat since the day I heard it.  Mad emotion and pain in the memories, but the song exudes a best wishes type of vibe.  The Guy sample is on point.  The way the beat drops in is perfect.  Love this song.  A+



Overall, this CD gets an A from me.  I thoroughly enjoyed it.  I know people will be enjoying this album for quite some time.  Nas, you did your thing!  Proud and happy for you!

Updates for the AutoBEATography coming soon!

@ kennyjohnsoniii

No comments:

Post a Comment